In math we have been focusing on bar modeling. This has been a tough activity because most students want to rush through and not use the bars. These bars are extremely helpful though (and required) as we move into two-step word problems. Almost all the students struggle with word problems because they rush through and don't take the time to picture the problem in their head. Bar modeling is an easy way to get the kids to slow down, but can be overwhelming because of the wordiness of some of the problems. Below are two videos that explain what bar modeling is and how it helps with word problems.
Here are our questions:
How Can Everyone in the World Have Safe Water?
The class will break into 5 expert groups:
1) In places where people have to walk for water, what impact does this have on their communities?
2) Why don't people have safe water?
3) What happens when people don't have safe water?
4) How do we get our water, where does it come from?
5) Why do we need to conserve our water?
I hope this helps and, again, PBL and pictures are coming soon!